Research Support Grants Research Support Grants further the development of scientific investigators committed to problems related to oral and maxillofacial surgery. Each grant is $75,000 and is awarded to the institution.
Eligibility & Requirements
- Applicant must have obtained a doctoral degree.
- Applicant oral and maxillofacial surgeon (OMS) must have completed an oral and maxillofacial surgery training program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association (CODA). If the Prinicipal Investigator (PI) is not an OMS, there must be a qualified OMS as Co-PI and the relationship of the PI to the specialty must be specially stated. The Co-PI must have an active role in the project, and the time commitment of the Co-PI must bee stated in objective terms. The OMS Co-PI must contribute at least 10% effort to the project.
- The OMS who is the PI or Co-PI must be a fellow or member of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (AAOMS) and must be a donor to the OMS Foundation.
- There are no age limitations.
- Either the applicant and/or the OMS Co-PI must be a citizen or non-citizen national of the United States or its possessions and territories or must, at least one year prior to signing the application for the Research Support Grant, have been lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence.
After approval, funds will be disbursed in January of the following year.
2019 Research Support Grant Awardees
The Research Support Grant that receives the highest score from the OMS Foundation Committee on Research is honored with the Stephen B. Milam Research Award.
2019 Stephen B. Milam Award recipient:
Magnetic resonance neurography (MRN) and diffusion tensor imaging augmented MRN of peripheral trigeminal nerve injuries on 3-Telsa scanner – correlation of injury classification with surgery and histopathology and prediction of patient outcomes
- UT Southwestern Medical Center
- Principal Investigator: Avneesh Chhabra, MD
- Co- PIs: John R. Zuniga, DMD, PhD, MS; Ananth Madhuranthakam, PhD
Additional Research Support Grants
The Oral and Maxillofacial Objective Structured Assessment of Technical Skills (OMOSATS)
- University of Toronto
- Principal Investigator: Marco Francesco Caminiti, DDS, BSc, Med, FRCDC
- Co-PI: Mark Shuren, HBSc, DDS, FRCDC
Orthognathic speech pathology: Understanding how jaw disharmonies and their surgical correction influence speech
- University of North Carolina School of Dentistry
- Principal Investigator: Laura Anne Jacox, DMD, MS, PhD
- Co-PI: Hillary Lathrop, DMD, MS; Timothy Turvey, DDS; George Blakey, DDS; Renie Daniel, DMD, MD, Dr. David Zajac, PhD, Dr. Jeff Mielke, PhD
Development of Surgically Implantable Minor Salivary Gland-Based Constructs for Treatment of Xerostomia
- The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
- Principal Investigator: Mary Cynthia Farach-Carson, PhD
- Co-PI: Simon Young, DDS, MD, PhD