Research Support Grants Research Support Grants further the development of scientific investigators committed to problems related to oral and maxillofacial surgery. Each grant is $75,000 and is awarded to the institution.
Eligibility & Requirements
- Applicant must have obtained a doctoral degree.
- Applicant oral and maxillofacial surgeon (OMS) must have completed an oral and maxillofacial surgery training program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association (CODA). If the Prinicipal Investigator (PI) is not an OMS, there must be a qualified OMS as Co-PI. Preference is given to applications that have a strong and clearly defined role for the oral and maxillofacial surgeon. If not the PI, the Co-PI OMSs must have an active role in the project, and the time commitment of the Co-PI must be stated in objective terms (e.g., hours/days per week, days per month). The OMS Co-PI must contribute at least 10% effort to the project.
- The OMS who is the PI or Co-PI must be a fellow or member of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (AAOMS) and must be a donor to the OMS Foundation.
- There are no age limitations.
- Either the applicant and/or the OMS Co-PI must be a citizen or non-citizen national of the United States, its possessions and territories or Canada or must, at least one year prior to signing the application for the Research Support Grant, have been lawfully admitted to the United States or Canada for permanent residence.
After approval, funds will be disbursed in January of the following year.
2021 Research Support Grant Awardees
The Research Support Grant that receives the highest score from the OMS Foundation Committee on Research is honored with the Stephen B. Milam Research Award.
2021 Stephen B. Milam Award recipient:
Analysis and quantification of orbital fractures to aid surgical decision making: An artifical intelligence-based approach
- Texas A&M University
- Principal Investigator: Andrew Read-Fuller, DDS, MD, MS
- Co- PIs: Ganesh Sankaranarayanan, MS, PhD; Babak Namazi, MS, PhD; Matthew J. Kesterke, PhD, BA, MA
Additional Research Support Grants
Advanced Three-dimensional Bioprinting of Patient-Derived Models for Head and Neck Cancer
- University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Principal Investigator: Yedeh Ying, DMD, MD
- Co-PIs: Christopher Willey, MD, PhD; Hope M. Amm, PhD
Immune Correlations of Neck Infections with Clinical Outcomes (ICONICO)
- University of Cincinnati
- Principal Investigator: Deepak Krishnan, DDS
- Co-PI: Charles C. Caldwell, PhD