What We Fund
Supporting Research and Education in the Specialty
Research and education are critical to making advances in the specialty. Our yearly funding of research awards and other projects allow the specialty to develop new areas of scientific study which will affect the care of patients now and for years into the future.
The OMS Foundation has supported the specialty with more than $13 million for Research Awards, Fellowships, scholarships and support of specialty-focused programs including:
Research Support Grants further the development of scientific investigators committed to problems related to oral and maxillofacial surgery. Each grant is $75,000 and is awarded to the institution.
GIVE provides $2,500 travel stipends to senior residents traveling internationally with experienced OMS teams to deliver humanitarian healthcare to underserved populations.
Student Research Training Award that support student projects with the aim to attract qualified students to the OMS specialty and investigative research.
Resident Travel Scholarships – The OMS Foundation awards travel scholarships to residents.
2018 RESEARCH AND EDUCATION FUNDING
In 2018, the OMS Foundation Board of Directors approved $603,500 to be awarded to the following:
- Three Research Support Grants – $225,000
- Support of two Faculty Educator Development Awards (FEDA)* – $270,000
- Support of the 2019 AAOMS Clinical and Scientific Innovations for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (CSIOMS)* – $20,000
- Scholarships for residents to attend the 2019 AAOMS CSIOMS* – $12,000
- Support of the 2019 Resident Transitions into Practice Conference* – $5,000
- Support for development of SCORE – $60,000
* Funded in part by the OMS Foundation Alliance Committee.