What We Fund
Supporting Research and Education in the Specialty
Research and education are critical to making advances in the specialty. Our yearly funding of research awards and other projects allow the specialty to develop new areas of scientific study which will affect the care of patients now and for years into the future.
The OMS Foundation has supported the specialty with more than $13 million for Research Awards, Fellowships, scholarships and support of specialty-focused programs including:
Research Support Grants further the development of scientific investigators committed to problems related to oral and maxillofacial surgery. Each grant is $75,000 and is awarded to the institution.
Clinical Research Support Grants supports researchers in basic, translational and clinical research. The OMS Foundation has allocated $150,000 for a two-year Clinical Research Support Grant.
GIVE provides $2,500 travel stipends to senior residents traveling internationally with experienced OMS teams to deliver humanitarian healthcare to underserved populations.
Student Research Training Award that support student projects with the aim to attract qualified students to the OMS specialty and investigative research.
Resident Travel Scholarships – The OMS Foundation awards travel scholarships to residents.
Faculty Educator Development Award (FEDA) offers financial support to promising early-career faculty to encourage their commitment to a career in academia.
Fellowships offered jointly with the IAOMS Foundation, this opportunity is extended to residents and junior faculty for an immersion year for cleft and craniofacial surgery.
2019 RESEARCH AND EDUCATION FUNDING
In 2019, the OMS Foundation Board of Directors approved $642,500 to be awarded to the following:
- Four Research Support Grants – $300,000
- One Student Research Training Award – $12,500
- Support of two Faculty Educator Development Awards (FEDA)* – $270,000
- Support of the 2020 AAOMS Clinical Trials Methods Course (CTMC) – $15,000
- Scholarships for residents to attend the 2020 AAOMS CTMC – $15,000
- Support of the 2020 Resident Transitions into Practice Conference* – $5,000
- Support for development of SCORE – $60,000
- One Clinical Research Support Grant – $75,000
- International Fellowship for Cleft Lip & Craniofacial Surgery (in conjunction with IAOMS) – $20,000
- Anesthesia Patient Safety Study – $75,000
- Scholarships for residents to attend the 2020 Principles in Head and Neck Oncology for the OMS – $5,000